No one likes to hire a marketing consultant.
Many consultants tell you what to do, but don’t help you do things.
Consultants can be expensive. They’re not vested in your success. They’re guns for hire, not partners.
But consultants can help your business succeed. They bring experience and expertise to change how you do business and, as important, think about it.
At some point, you require third-party perspective and insight. You need someone who doesn’t have inherent biases about your business or people.
So, when is the right time to hire a marketing consultant?
– You’re on a roll. Sales are good, customers are happy, and better or different marketing will make the business move faster and move successfully.
– Marketing isn’t working. There aren’t enough leads, marketing doesn’t resonate with your ideal customers, and the competition is clearly doing a better job.
– There’s nothing wrong with your marketing but your people can do better. They need guidance and leadership to hit their stride.
– You’ve been burned by marketing in the past and don’t want to make strategic or tactical mistakes. You need help you figure what to do, why, and when.
– There’s a glaring marketing gap that needs to be filled ASAP. It could be positioning, social media, research, advertising, content marketing, analyst relations, or strategic planning.
Consulting may be a dirty word but the right consultant (or advisor) at the right time can make your business better and more profitable, and your life less stressful.
Why and when would you hire a marketing consultant?